Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hair, Hair, Hair

I had been letting my hair grow out to donate to Locks of Love. I recently discovered they don't want my hair because I am starting to get little white hairs growing in & they can't be picking out the gray hairs from the ponytail. Well, there aren't any gray or white hairs in the ponytail. But, anyway now that it's really long, it's mine to keep.

I thought about cutting it a bit shorter, but the younger alien (age 11) became very distressed about the change. He has an anxiety disorder in addition to the ADHD and does not deal well with drastic change. Change must come slowly or there is a major meltdown due to the anxiety. So, here I am with lots of hair that I'm trying to figure out how to style it.

Typically I tie it up in a bun or a long braid on the side. Any suggestions would be helpful. I generally keep it confined in some way or another. If I leave it down, people tend to stare & it makes me a bit uncomfortable. I'm really self-conscious about my weight so I don't like people staring at me. (Except for "T" in the library, but that's a post for another day.)

I didn't realize how long it really looks to other people (I avoid looking at my backside in the mirror at all costs). One day early last summer, a co-worker at the library took a picture of me and that's when I really realized how long it really was! Sounds goofy doesn't it? It's on my head I should know. Anywho... here's the picture.

4 comments:

Xmichra said...

wow... your hair is really long!!

Maybe try doing like a low bun, where it's more like a ponytail folded in half. it would look shorter, would still be back, and there would be a change that can be *fixed* if it doesn't go over well. If you google image "hair bun styles" there are lots of pictures

~Just Me Miranda~ said...

Gorgeous hair, yes do what X said. Or I love long loose single braid, or a french braid. Or a fishtail. My kids both had really long hair, and it was always pulled back. Either in a ponytail, or french braids. I loved doing it and got quite fast having to do it at 6:30 in the morning before daycare. LOL.

~Just Me Miranda~ said...

BTW - I've left you an award. Well deserved, I might add.

Burfica said...

to bad locks of love didn't want it. It's very beautiful!!!.

When mine got long long. I always did braids, ponytails, buns or in a clip. That's when I decided to cut it, cuz I never wanted it down anymore.

You could do the whole princess lea in two buns thing. hehehehehehe