Saturday, January 05, 2013

Happy 2013!

As we begin a new year, I am thankful for the blessing of my two great sons, our loving kitties, the creative gifts with which I've been blessed, and all the wonderful people in my life.

One of my goals for the new year is to go back to blogging, it seems to be therapy for me. :)

I'm currently searching for a better job, tired of dealing with too many angry parents who do want to take responsibility for their part in the education of their children.  Frustrated that students today don't have to accept any responsibility for their learning.... my take on it: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I teach my students, I provide them with many types of opportunities to learn, I come in early.... I stay late.  Parents & students have my personal & business email address.  Yet no one takes advantage of these opportunities for extra help.  I send home practice work (not a ton, minimal but it must be turned in for a grade)... never returned, handed in 2 weeks late and it's only half done.  Students who don't show up for days on end, don't do their make-up work, and refuse to take the optional study guide.... they ask why they're failing.  Their parents get progress reports (sometimes daily) and only speak to me when the report card comes home with a poor grade.  Whose fault is it? Mine, of course!

If it's my fault, then why are the students who complete their work passing their exams? Hmmmm... could it be that's the whole point?

Even with all the garbage, I love my students, I love my job, some of the parents don't care.... most are dealing with a lot and do the best they can.  That's why I keep doing what I do.

No comments: