Friday, July 09, 2004

I caved....they got one, ugh!

Where's my migraine medicine? This music repeating for hours on end is making me insane.

OK - I did it. I swore I never would but, alas, the masses have proven victorious and I have lost the battle....... but the war isn't over yet.

What's the big deal you say? What earth shattering event happened? Something so amazing it boggles the minds of all those who know me. I bought a video game for my children. A Playstation 2? No, never! A Game Cube? Ha! No again. An X-Box? Once again, you silly fool, the answer is no. What did I finally break down and buy? What amazing piece of technology have I purchased to heighten the enjoyment of my children and shape their future with? An old Sega Genesis and four games for $5 at a garage sale.

Yeah, I know anyone reading this right now is laughing their butt off. Go ahead, get it out of your system............ feel better now?

My children have tons of videos but are very limited to the amount of time they are allowed to sit and become video zombies in front of the television. My feeling is that video games encourage children to sit mindlessly in front of the boob-tube and become lazy. If it's nice enough to be outside, I want my children out being active. If it's crummy out and they can't play outside, I prefer them to be reading, playing Monopoly (or any other game that requires brain waves to function), pull out their art supplies and create a masterpiece........ anything but veg in front of the idiot box (a.k.a. television). My children are in heaven playing their Sonic games.

My children are unaware that the thing will probably pull in a enough cash off of eBay to feed a third world country for a week. My intent was to sell the thing on eBay for a profit to someone hung up on old video game systems. Guess again. My kids have been sitting here for an hour now (it's 2:00 PM) figuring out the games & how they work without the aid of an instruction booklet or dear ole' Mom's help. Oh, well, it's a rainy, cold, nasty day outside and they're stuck inside for the afternoon. I guess one afternoon of being zombied-out can't warp their minds too badly. Besides, they're actually helping one another learn the games instead of fighting over what toy belongs to whom.

Just for the record, we were the first kids on the block to have a Pong game that could be switched between 1 & 2 paddles and you could also make the "ball" (which consisted of a square spot on the screen) regular size or small size if you were really good. We were the envy of the neighborhood. Not that anyone out there is going to actually be reading this blog but, for those of you still unable to get a clear picture of what a Pong game was compared to today's video game systems........you may want to dust off those old books at the library, you know they ones transcribed from cave drawings......... you may find some info in them. ; )

No comments: