Thursday, March 17, 2005

Leprechaun Trap

We (my preschool class and I) set a leprechaun trap yesterday. We baited it with VERY shiny pennies and one gold-foil covered chocolate. We left signs up such as "Do Not Enter" and "Stay Away" because everyone knows that leprechauns don't like to follow directions and are very curious little creatures.

When we came in today, evidence of the little man dressed in green were everywhere! He had been all over our room leaving a trail of gold dust wherever he went. The best part of all - the trap and been set off! We caught him! (or so we thought)

As I carefully lifted the shoebox, the other teacher waited on the other side to catch him in case he tried to make a quick getaway. Alas, upon opening the trap, we discovered he had taken the shiny pennies and had eaten the chocolate coin. To top it off, he left the foil wrapper behind just to mock us!

We were sure he was still lurking about in the room so a little later we started looking around for him only to discover he had turned the toilet water GREEN! About that time, a child saw a little green hat run quickly behind the toilet and we lost him after that.

To learn if he was still in our room or had moved on to another classroom, we decided to make some pistachio pudding. The powder comes out of the box white, but if there is a leprechaun in the room when you add the milk, it turns green. So we set to mixing and would you believe this - IT TURNED GREEN! He was still here in our room!

There were several other sightings throughout the day and a number of children heard him making scratching noises around the hamster cage area at nap time (Hummmmmm wonder if Clover saw the little green man?), but no one caught him.

A child from another room also saw our leprechaun and a friend dash behind a tree on the playground - I was shocked to learn there was another one lurking about.

Maybe we'll catch them next year & get their gold. If they don't give it to us, I have a little boy that wants to keep him in the hamster cage and feed him hamster food and crayons until he tells us where it's buried.

Happy St. Pat's Day everyone!

3 comments:

Dorko said...

I LOVED this post!
I have a neighbor that is convinced Leprechauns are afoot every March...
I'll share your story with his grandmother,if you don't mind?

(We need more pre-school teachers like you!) :-D

Alekx said...

Girl, you rock, with everything amiss for your right now and you can still do something this inventive and special for your kids I just have to bow down in awe to you dear.
I really wish I had teachers like you when I was growing up. This just had me speechless at the thought you put into this senerio and these kids will remember it forever. What a special teacher you are hun.

Burfica said...

I wanna catch a leprachan. I don't even have to have is gold, just catch him. hehehehee