Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Rosa Parks, Dead at age 92



Parks, 92, died around 7 p.m. Monday at St. John Hospital on Detroit’s east side.

Parks’ refusal to give up her bus seat to a white man in Montgomery, Alabama, in 1955 landed her in jail and sparked a bus boycott that is considered the start of the modern civil rights movement. The bus is on display at the Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn.

Parks, was born Feb. 4, 1913, in Tuskegee, Alabama. She lived in Detroit.

In "Quiet Strength," a book of reflections published in 1994, she wrote: "I want to be remembered as a person who stood up to injustice, who wanted a better world for young people; and most of all, I want to be remembered as a person who wanted to be free and wanted others to be free."

"I had no idea when I refused to give up my seat on that Montgomery bus that my small action would help put an end to the segregation laws of the South," she said in her autobiography. "I only knew that I was tired of being pushed around." - Rosa Parks

What an amazing woman.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

May you RIP Rosa...in the arms of GOD

Op~

Alekx said...

what an amazing woman she was

If only I could have the courage she had her whole life.