Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thank you!!

I wanted to thank you for your prayers over the last month or so, it has meant so much to me.

I'm quickly discovering so many of the things in life that I previously thought were from being over-stressed, aren't. Much of it lies with the difficulties associated with ADHD. I have spent most of my life knowing I'm not stupid but my disorganization and sometimes "flakey" personality have caused many people in my life to think differently. Much time has been spent with me doing my best to prove to others I'm not a flake.

I've finally decided that if people don't like it, I don't care. For years I've just done my best and let others think what they want but have felt the hurt because they don't understand I'm not doing things to irritate them on purpose. Last August, I was diagnosed with ADHD. Did it just appear? No, I've had it my entire life which is the cause for many of the things I still struggle with. However, there is a difference now. I now understand that it is not my lack of knowledge or effort that cause me to become distracted, disorganized, or to hyper-focus, it is simply me being me.

Do I intend to give up trying? NO! I'm just not going to let it get to me quite so much. I think in doing this, I'll be putting less stress on myself and that alone will help me to do better. Hopefully, I can teach my children this lesson much earlier in life so that they don't put the undo stress upon themselves that I have done to myself.

I'm not using my ADHD as an excuse for anything, just an explanation of why I do things a little differently than most. It is also why my "aliens" are so alien to most people. Children with ADHD just do things differently. Our brains work differently, we are usually creative thinkers which sometimes is seen as being just plain weird.

As I look back on some of my previous posts about my aliens, I find even more humor in them than I did when I first posted them. One thing I can say, life in a house with ADHD is NEVER boring, always interesting, and often tiring. However, we love one another more than most families I know. For that I am forever thankful.

Have a great Wednesday.

3 comments:

Burfica said...

I think you are a wonderful family. And you have never used it as an excuse for you or your boys. Your pretty amazing!!!

I don't like it when people blame every little thing on "oh it's my adhd" I'm saying every little things. like they tear a piece of tin foil wrong and say that. hahahaha

anyhow. I'll always be here reading ya. hehehehe

Jacq said...

Hi ~C~

Thanks for your kind words on my post about the death of my father. I really appreciated it.

I also totally understand your sentiments in this post. I have been through it myself. Having ADHD does mean that things are different for us and sometimes harder. I have read a lot about ADHD and learning disabilities. Reading really did help me find ways to cope with my ADHD in a more productive way. I'm much more organized now and much less stressed.

I'm just getting back to blogging and back to my school work so I hope to see you again and I'll keep an eye on your blog as well.

Canadian flake said...

If it helps..you give me hope. Although I don't have ADHD, having 2 children that both have it is certainly a battle. I worry about them...worry what kind of life they will have ..so I am grateful to you for reminding me that they CAN succeed.

Thanks again.