Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Day #3 in Neuro ICU for Dad

Dad took a turn for the worse this morning. He went into respiratory distress. With the injuries to his chest & lungs, they were now swelling due to the trauma caused in the accident. His chest cavity and lungs were filling with fluid and putting pressure on his heart. So...... They put under with some heavy meds and then put him on a ventilator. For the next four days (minimum) a machine will be breathing for him. He will be unconscious due to the meds (this is to keep him comfortable) but not in a coma, just deeply sleeping.

It was really scary to see Dad lying there unconscious with all those tubes coming out of him. It shouldn't have bothered me so much - I saw him after his triple by-pass surgery 8 years ago and that was worse. I guess the memory of it fades after awhile. It's very disturbing to feel so helpless.

Thank you to all those who have left comments and to everyone for your prayers - I really do believe in the power of prayer and I know God is listening.

By the way Opie - his name is John, my kids call him "John-John" ( a story for another time as to why).

2 comments:

Burfica said...

I'm sorry he took a turn for the worse. we are still praying.

sounds so very similiar to my feelings when I saw my mom after she got intibated. I can very much understand.

Hang in there. God is at work.

Unknown said...

Thanks Shug..the pictures look just like I thought in my mind...and for some reason..I was thing tanker also...well..our prayers are with your father and you...be strong..which it sounds like your a very strong person...yes,,there is power in prayers.

GOD Bless
Op~
ps:..thanks for emailing me