Saturday, May 28, 2005

The Power Surge

I walked into work last Thursday and it was quiet.... how nice you say. However there is one problem, silence is something you NEVER hear at a day care, even at nap time.
We had a power surge the night before & the day care was closed for the day. We had electricians checking everything, the fire marshall was there, we had to have all the duct work cleaned out because of the smoky smell that permeated the building and of course our licensing agency, Dept. of Children & Family services (DCFS) was there to oversee it all. What a zoo.

The cords on the surge protectors that plugged into the walls were melted to the electrical outlet covers. So, the staff spent the day cleaning up, scrubbing walls where there was smoke damage, and general cleaning.

It was during this cleaning spree that the new director stopped in to talk with my co-teacher and I. After 30 minutes of discussing the new curriculum that my co-teacher & I were working on for next school year, I was shocked to learn from woman with NO background in education, that we didn't really teach anything in our classroom. I said nothing. I was too angry. As the old saying goes, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

I am seriously reconsidering my future at this preschool.

No comments: