Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Wrong Actions for the Right Reason....

First, the snow never happened - we were supposed to get a half inch of ice on everything and then be covered by another inch or so of snow. We got very little ice and a few flurries, thankfully, nothing closed.

Big news of the day: My 10 year old son got into his first fight over a female. He and his brother take the bus to a daycare provider's home after school each night (much to their dismay). The boy sitting behind him (age 10) was picking on his little sister ( age 5). My son turned around and told him it wasn't nice to pick on girls even if they were your sister. So the kid starts picking on my son. Still my son sits and takes it. Then the kid starts seriously poking and pinching his little sister and shoved my younger son off the bus seat into the aisle. That's when son #1 jumped into action. He told the kid if he was gonna hit someone, it had better be him, not a little kid. So, the bully hit him. My son pounded the tar out of the kid just long enough to make him stop hitting then jumped off and ran to tell the nearest adult what had happened: the bus driver. All this garbage took place over a 15 minute period on the school bus while it was in motion.

I am proud of him for defending the little girl. I am proud of him for defending his little brother. I'm glad he controlled himself enough to only fight as much as he had to in order to end the fight. He thought I'd be furious with him. All I could say is, "Sweetie, your heart was in the right place. Mommy doesn't like to hear you hit someone but you did it defending someone weaker. You did the wrong thing for the right reason.

1 comment:

Burfica said...

That child is a little hero. He did everything right. Maybe he should have told the adult first, but the other kid could have knocked the tar out of the younger one's by then. Buy that boy and ice cream for me. hehehehee