Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Two Deer in the headlights....

... but I only hit one.

I did it. After living my entire adult life (and most of my childhood) in Northern Illinois, I finally polished off one of the natives with my 1992 Buick.

It's rutting season, for those who don't have hunters in the family, the deer are mating this time of year and have more hormones running through them than a bunch of high school kids on prom night. This also means they are all over the place and you will frequently spy them (hopefully) at the side of the roads.

Not tonight. I hit that sucker and WHAM! Bambi was dead. I was very lucky. The larger of the two (both were does) escaped which means I only hit an average sized doe. I saw them in time to slow down so the impact wasn't as great but I'm gonna be sore tomorrow for sure.


Thank you God for looking out for me tonight. There are a hundred things that could've happened to make this accident deadly for me, but, it wasn't. My car is pretty badly damaged and as old as it is will probably be totaled, true. I am alive, I walked away. My children weren't in the car when it happened. People were nearby to help me out right away.

The best news of all - I still got to the polls in time to vote for George W. Bush!


God is GOOD. Thank you for keeping me in one piece. Thank you for keeping my children out of the whole thing.

2 comments:

Burfica said...

When I was 9, my mom and I were driving home (2 1/2 hours away) in the evening in a compact car. And we had a Mule deer doe. Now mule deer are the big as donkey ones. She ran across the road and broadsided us. Stuck her head through my mom's side window. Glass everywhere, she then flipped and hit our front fender sending us off the road. Glass, hair, blood, metal everywhere, not a single soul would stop and help us. 50 cars must have passed, nobody stopped. Mom had to drag me kicking and screaming back into the car, and limp us back into the nearest town. Thank God you all are okay. Scarey stuff.

~SugarBear~ said...

I can't believe that not one soul stopped to help you! How awful. I can't imagine driving past something like that and not stopping to assist the people involved.