Friday, September 10, 2004

I have no life.......

Here it is........ Friday night again. Again I sit here on this stupid pc because the rest of the world has a social life & I don't. It sucks. What's on tap for the rest of this hoppin' birthday weekend for me? Jack squat. Nothin'. Nada. Zero. Zilch.

My parents wanted to take the boys and me out for lunch this Sunday to celebrate - I said great! I wrongly assumed I would get to pick where we ate since it is my birthday we are celebrating. Too late, I'd already agreed & Mom announced we'd be eating at Old Country Buffet. Whoopie. I'm so excited I could just s**t.

So now I get to stand in line with 250 people of the 55 & over crowd to serve myself a plate of poorly warmed food poisoning. I HATE buffet's - I end up with food poisoning every darn time. Mom knows it. Dad knows it. Heck - my kids know it!! So, I either cancel plans with them & piss them off OR I go eat with them, get sick, tell them why I'm sick & piss them off for not telling them (for only the 4,863rd time) that I get food poisoning from every buffet I eat at. It's a lose/lose situation. The alternative is to go, not eat anything except hot soup (usually safe but not always) and piss them off for not eating a "real meal" after they paid for it.

Then there's the problem of sitting with them and actually having a conversation. My parents are the "Children should be seen & not heard" kind of people. When we were children and went out to eat, adults had conversation, the children were to shut up and eat. Period. I refuse to do that to my kids. Yes, they need to allow the adults to converse however, if they have something they would like to talk about, I think it affords a great opportunity for them to practice their social skills and I'll discuss things with them like I normally would at a family dinner at home. My parents can't stand it. They look like they're gonna explode most of the meal.

And there's the problem of my children's manners............... they don't have manners good enough to dine with the Queen Mother therefore, they eat like animals. They cover their mouths to cough. They chew with their mouths closed. They say "please" and "thank you". What the heck more do you want out of two kids under the age of 10?

By the time this meal is done I'll be ready for a semi-load of Haggen-Daas, chocolate of course.

No comments: